20s and 30s Berlin takes over the Royal Festival Hall this weekend. Particularly timely for me…Weimar Germany was a nation struggling for an identity – and this weekend will lift the lid on the multiple inflammatory facets of Berlin, the centre of Germany’s political and artistic dramas in an intense two-day programme of talks and debates such as….
- Glamorous, enigmatic, iconic: it can only be Marlene Dietrich
- Hyperinflation in Weimar Germany meant that it was cheaper to stick banknotes to your your walls than buy wallpaper – where did the Mark go wrong?
- The Hitler Youth – the foundation of Hitler’s Thousand-Year Reich?
- Get your Surrealism mixed up with your Serialism? Professor Johnathan Cross presents the definitive guide to the Serialism method of composition.
- Alex Ross, author of The Rest Is Noise, looks at the contradictions of this amazing time in Berlin’s history.
- Composer Dominic Muldowney delves into the complicated relationships between Brecht and his composers.
- Hitler wanted to rule the hearts and minds of Germans. Yvonne Sherratt explores his relationship with philosophers.
See here for the full programme and here for tickets.